Friday, May 8, 2009

Gov Brian Schweitzer on the new MT gun law

I will be one of the first to admit Schweitzer isn't top of my list of favorite people in the world, BUT when Bozeman had the gas explosion he was here didn't go to a renaming ceremony he was scheduled to be at, he went to where there was a tragedy. And now he did what is right not maybe his political counterparts said he should do...he did was was right for the people of Montana. For this I say thank you Brian for not letting your own political agenda get in the way just because you are democrat, but looked out for our state, please continue to do so.

“It’s a gun bill, but it’s another way of demonstrating the sovereignty of the state of Montana,” Democrat Schweitzer said.

House Bill 246, the Montana-made gun bill, cleared the Legislature easily before reaching the governor’s desk.

Its supporters next plan to find a “squeaky clean” Montanan who wants to send a note to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives threatening to build and sell about 20 rifles without federal dealership licensing. If the ATF says it’s illegal, the gun bill’s backers plan to file a lawsuit in federal court with the goal of launching a legal showdown that lands in the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Montana Shooting Sports Association, which drafted the bill, has said it will raise the money to pay for any legal costs.

“It doesn’t cost us any money and I like guns,” Schweitzer said after signing the bill.

“I like big guns, I like little guns, I like pistols, I like rifles, and I would like to buy a gun that’s made in Montana,” Schweitzer said.

Rest of the mid April article in the Helena paper

No comments:

Post a Comment